- Clean your barbecue regularly – inside and outside surfaces, plus any moving parts.
- Spray soapy water on the gas line and fittings to detect any leaks. If bubbles appear when the gas is turned on, this means there is a leak. The defective part or parts must be replaced.
- Never use any barbecue grill indoors.
- Leave at least 2 feet of clearance on all sides between the barbecue and any combustible materials.
- To light the barbecue, open the lid all the way, turn on the gas at the tank, then turn on one burner knob, and press the ignition button.
- Never press the ignition button more than twice.
- Never leave a lit barbecue unattended.
Propane tanks or cylinders that are defective or over 10 years old must be replaced. Return the tank to your propane distributor for safe disposal.
What if a propane tank catches fire?
- If fire breaks out at the valve where you turn on the tank, leave the barbecue immediately, get as far away as possible, and call 911. NEVER try to put out the fire!
Wire BBQ brushe
Millions of Canadians enjoy using their barbecue. Through repeated use, the wire brushes that many people use to clean their barbecues can lose their bristles. If ingested, these bristles can cause serious health problems.
Wire BBQ brush bristles can effectively fall into food causing esophageal or gastric injuries.
To minimize the risk of issues with your wire barbecue brush, you should:
- regularly inspect your brush for signs of damage;
- inspect grills and barbecued food for loose bristles;
- regularly replace your brush to help avoid problems associated with wear; and
- stop using your brush if bristles come loose or stick to the grill.
You are invited to report any incidents involving wire barbecue brushes to Health Canada and to the store that you purchased them from.