Access to Information Requests

What is an access to information request ?

An access request involves access to information, or, to be more specific, to documents held by a public organization, but it also concerns protection of personal information that the latter has in its possession.


How can I request access to a document ?

The request can be oral or written (including E-mail and fax), but only a written request allows you to appeal to the Commission d’accès à l’information (Commission for Access to Information) if you feel that the decision taken by the party acting as person in charge is unsatisfactory. The request must be addressed to the person in charge of access to documents and must be sufficiently precise for the document to be quickly located.


To whom should I submit my request ?

Request for access to a document is addressed to the party designated as the person in charge of access to documents within the public organization possessing this document, in this case, the Municipal Clerk. 


How long can it take before I get an answer from the municipal organization, in this case, the City of Deux-Montagnes ?

The person in charge party must reply within 20 calendar days following reception of your request. However, he may take advantage of a 10-day extension, provided he gives you prior notice.


If I am not satisfied with the reply obtained in cases of access request, what can I do ?

You were denied access? You got an unsatisfactory response? You did not get a reply from the person in charge?

You can request review of a public organization’s decision before the Commission d’accès à l’information.

This request must be addressed to the Commission d’accès à l’information – Secrétariat de la Commission – within 30 calendar days of answer or after the deadline for reply has expired. All you have to do is write to the Commission and attach a copy of your original request and a copy of the person in charge’s response.